Improving your physical and mental health is a journey of trial and error. There will be times when you are on top of things, and other occasions where your habits become increasingly unhealthy. The key is not to be too self-critical. Acknowledge that the process of improvement is just as important as reaching the end goal. To help you out on your health quest, here are ten ideas and resources which can support you in living your best life!
11 Ideas & Resources To Improve Your Physical & Mental Health
Number One: Meditation
Meditation is the perfect way to ease your stress levels and learn to appreciate the present moment. To get started with meditation, these books may come in handy:
- Real Happiness: The Power Of Meditation by Sharon Salzberg: This book offers readers a 28-day program, covering everything you need to know about starting a meditation practice. Here you’ll find info on different types of meditation, including walking meditation and mindfulness meditation.
- Meditation for Beginners by Yesena Chavan: This book focuses on meditation to ease anxiety and depression symptoms. Anyone looking to learn how to relax and boost their health will benefit from reading this book.
Number Two: Apps for Self-Care
Improving your self-care regime can help you to improve both your mental and physical health. There are many resources you can use to support this process, including self-care apps.
- Journey Cloud: Using this journaling application, you can reflect on your feelings, write down what you are grateful for, or brainstorm your goals. There are so many ways to use a journal; it just all depends on your needs. Journaling is a great way to deal with tough emotions, ease stress levels, and release tension.
- Shine: This self-care app helps users to challenge negative thoughts, set goals, and put their mental health first. The application offers plenty of tips on positive affirmations, mindfulness, and productivity. There’s also an online community where you can exchange advice with other users.
Number Three: Resources for Physical Health
We all know that exercise is the key to improving both our physical, mental health. Many of us feel more comfortable exercising at home right now, and so the following apps may come in handy:
- Glo: With this yoga application, you can try sessions in meditation, yoga, and pilates too. Glo is suitable for all levels, whether you’d like a slow Hatha class or an up-tempo Ashtanga class. The application provides personalized suggestions based on your goals and preferences.
- 7 Minute Workout: This app it’s the perfect solution for busy people! Here you’ll find plenty of 7-minute workouts, which will allow you to build your strength, tone up, and boost your energy levels. 7 Minute Workout uses a high-intensity circuit training method, so expect to see some fantastic results!
Number Four: Prioritize Your Health Check-Ups
One super simple way to take care of your health is to ensure that you have regular health check-ups. Whether its blood pressure checks, cervical exams, or simply replacing your eyeglasses, it’s vital to keep on top of your health checks. Those who require more information on eyeglasses can check out this website. Here you’ll find plenty of different eyeglasses from some of the top brands.
Number Five: Immunity Boosting Foods
To improve your health, it’s a great idea to focus on foods that boost your immune system. To get started, try adding more of the following to your diet:
- Kale: This nutritious vegetable contains plenty of vitamins A, K, and C. These vitamins can help to boost the antioxidant levels in your bloodstream and to improve your immunity.
- Fish: Eating plenty of fish is a great way to strengthen your immune system, improve your heart health, and prevent cognitive decline. What’s more, some studies indicate that eating fish can also boost your mood.
Number Six: Stress Busting Tactics
Our modern and fast-paced lives are full of stressors that can compromise our physical and mental health. It’s impossible to avoid stress altogether, but what you can do is arm yourself with plenty of stress-busting tactics. Here are a few options to help you along the way:
- Try herbal supplements: There are plenty of herbal supplements out there, which can be helpful to reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. Valerian is made from a perennial flower that grows across Europe and Asia. Consuming the herb in supplement form can help to encourage sleep and reduce stress. Bacopa monnieri is another useful herb that can help our bodies to deal with stress symptoms.
- Yoga: A regular yoga practice is a fantastic way to cope with the symptoms of stress and anxiety. Yoga classes will also teach you breathing and meditation techniques that you can use to de-stress.
Number Seven: Creative Hobbies
Creative hobbies can be a great way to boost your mental health, release stress, improve your confidence, and meet new people. It doesn’t matter which creative hobby you try, whether it’s painting, writing, music, or dance.
One study in Medical News Today demonstrated that ‘individuals who were encouraged to participate in theater performances had improved psychological well-being after 4 weeks. They also exhibited better cognitive functioning.’ Further data showed that creative writing in a journal helped to promote and ‘increased sense of psychological well-being.’
Number Eight: A New Pet
Research from Taylor & Francis showed that petting animals was an effective way to reduce anxiety symptoms. What was most interesting was that the anxiety-reducing properties were experienced by everyone (and not just by those who loved animals). Buying a new pet is a great way to improve your well-being and boost your endorphin levels. Choosing a pet dog means you’ll also improve your fitness regime at the same time!
Number Nine: Try Aromatherapy
There are many health benefits associated with anxiety including reducing stress, and treating headaches. Aromatherapy is sometimes used to manage pain or to improve sleep. Each essential oil has different health benefits, whether you’re looking to boost your energy levels or calm your nervous system. You can use essential oils by inhaling them, applying them topically to your skin or adding them to a bath.
Number Ten: Get into Gardening
Looking for a new hobby to boost your mental and physical health? Gardening is just the hobby you need! Being outdoors helps us raise our endorphin levels, and gardening is also an excellent form of exercise. You can teach yourself how to grow some tasty fruits and vegetables, helping you to save money and improve your diet at the same time.
Number Eleven: Fitness Podcasts
We know that fitness is a key part of remaining physically and mentally healthy, but sometimes we just need a little inspiration to get motivated! To get you inspired to stay on track, the following fitness podcasts will come in handy:
- Ali on the Run Show: This podcast is an excellent source of inspiration for any type of runner, whether you are a beginner or a regular at marathons. Each week Ali Feller interviews professional marathoners, everyday runners, and entrepreneurs in the running niche, to learn about their experiences and goals.
- The Dumbells: Fitness fanatics will just love this comedy podcast about all things fitness. Tune in for plenty of fitness tips, anecdotes and laughs. The podcast offers a light but helpful take on the world of wellness.
It can be useful to have a pen and paper handy when you listen to podcasts to write down all your favorite inspirations. Hopefully, at least a few of these ideas will resonate with you and help you on your journey to improved well-being.